10. The Cubs won nine straight games on the road which is something they have not done since 1945.
9. The Cubs winning percentage reached above .630 for the first time since 1945 (when they had .636).
8. The Cubs won nine straight series for the first time since 1907–a year they also won the World Series.
7. The Cubs reached 35 games above .500 this season for the first time since 1945 (not there now, however!).
6. There is no superstar or assured Hall of Famer on the Cubs team–it is a team and not a one or two man show! (Though a team they are nevertheless a team of millionaries!)
5. The Cubs have the longest championship drought among professional teams in the US.
4. They are America’s team–midwestern, true blue…and America only likes winners, right? Even when they only win every 100 years.
3. The goat died a long time ago, all the black cats in Chicago have been quarantined, and Bartman will not be allowed in Wrigley this time.
2. I will not watch any more Cub games on TV since every game I have watched in its entirely or most of it they lost! When I watch, they lose. So, I won’t watch….maybe.
1. There is a benevolent God!
Ok, maybe the “God” thing is over the top….but…..I look unto the hills from whence my help cometh….it is the only hope for the Chicago Cubs, my lovable losers.
I wanted to do this before the Cubs actually blow it.
Ultimately, it is just a game and is meaningless in terms of my participation in the kingdom of God. But it is recreational, fun and fits in with my “theology of play.”