In the Fall of 2002, Rubel Shelly and John York preached through Hebrews at the Woodmont Hills Family of God in Nashville, Tennessee. They entitled their series “Strength for the Journey.” At the same time I provided resource teaching material for the Bible classses and some small groups used that material as well.
Rubel’s sermons are available here and John’s are available here. Rubel and John identified the text and provided a summary of their homiletic point. I then constructed a teaching resource based on their chosen text and summary. So, I followed their division of the text into chucks.
Each lesson was divided into (1) Teaching Materials and (2) Teaching Options. Under the teaching materials, I provided (a) exegetical notes and (b) pointed out what I thought was the theological substance of the passage.
Outline of Lessons
- Outline of Hebrews
- Introducing Hebrews
- God Must Really Love Us (Hebrews 1:1-4)
- Fascinated by Angels (Hebrews 1:5-2:18)
- In Awe of Moses (Hebrews 3:1-19)
- Awed by Joshua (Hebrews 4:1-13)
- Our Compassionate High Priest (Hebrews 4:14-5:10)
- We are At Risk! (Hebrews 5:11-6:20)
- Jesus: Eternal High Priest of the Melchizedekan Order (Hebrews 7:1-28)
- Looking to Jesus: A Better Covenant (Hebrews 8:1-13)
- Looking to Jesus: Ministry in the Heavenly Tabernacle (Hebrews 9:1-10)
- Looking to Jesus: The Perfect Sacrifice, Part I (Hebrews 9:11-28)
- Looking to Jesus: The Perfect Sacrifice, Part II (Hebrews 10:1-18)
- So? (Hebrews 10:19-39)
- Take Heart From Others’ Stories (Hebrews 11:1-40)
- Eyes on Jesus! (Hebrews 12:1-13)
- Why Even Think of Turning Back? (Hebrews 12:14-29)
- A Final “Word of Exhortation” (Hebrews 13:1-25)